By Clara Lincy | Infographics |
July 14, 2021
Salesforce is a company that has revolutionized the software scenario across the globe through cloud-based software. Salesforce changed the mindset of doubting thomases by showing that your valuable data and contact details were safe and secure even in the hands of a third party.
Here is a breakdown which shows the evolution of Salesforce.
- Salesforce was founded on 3 February 1999 by Mark Benioff, then a Sales Executive at Oracle – one of the largest Information Technology companies in the world. Mark Benioff quit Oracle to start Salesforce.
- On 8 March 1999, Salesforce incorporates with Mark Benioff and its three founding partners – Parker Harris, Dave Moellenhoff, and Frank Dominguez
- Salesforce started with the premise of a company for Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) and making software available 24/7 to everyone over a global cloud computing architecture.
- On 7 February 2000, Salesforce.com is launched at an event with a theme of “The End of Software” at San Francisco’s Regency Theatre with 1,500 people in attendance.
- In 2001, Salesforce expands towards a global presence with headquarters in Dublin and Tokyo.
- By 2002, Salesforce has 70,000 users in 107 countries across the globe.
- In 2003, first edition of Dreamforce, annual convention of Salesforce, was held at the Westin Hotel in San Francisco.
- On 23 June 2004, Salesforce makes its first public offering on New York Stock Exchange, raising $110 million at $11 per share.
- In 2005, Salesforce started the service AppExchange that would change business software forever. Business Week called it “ebay for business software”.
- In 2013, Salesforce launched Salesforce1 platform which would enable users to access as much information on your mobiles as you could on a computer.
- In 2015, Salesforce came up with Lightning platform that would allow developers to create add-on applications that can integrate with main Salesforce.com application.
- In 2015, Salesforce enters Fortune 500 and marked a major phase in the evolution of the company.
- In 2021, Fortune magazine ranked Salesforce second on its list, “100 Best Companies to Work For,” based on an employee survey of satisfaction.
- Salesforce came into being years before other cloud platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, iTunes came into existence.
- Mark Benioff and his associates have built a single product of customer relationship management software tool around the single idea of products companies could use on the cloud.
- For a company which started in a single room with 4 people, Salesforce is today worth 55.13 billion US dollars and employs 60,000 people. A mindboggling growth within a span of just 22 years.